About Butler Tarkington
Butler–Tarkington is a neighborhood on the north side of Indianapolis with the following borders: 38th Street and Crown Hill Cemetery to the south, the Central Canal and Westfield Boulevard to the north, Michigan Road to the west, and Meridian Street to the east.
The neighborhood began as a farming settlement in the 1840s near what is now the intersection of 38th Street and Illinois Street. The settlement was called Mapleton due to the large number of maple trees in the area. 38th Street which now forms the southern boundary of the neighborhood was originally called Maple Road. The settlement was connected to the railway system of the City of Indianapolis in the 1860s. In 1890, the city's electric street car system ran a line up through the neighborhood. Mapleton was annexed by Indianapolis in 1902, and most of the rest of the neighborhood was annexed by 1906. Residential development took off in the 1910s and 1920s. By the end of World War II, the neighborhood was built-out.
Source: Wikipedia. Photo Credit: No Mean City.